MHS vs Deland – Tues; MHS @ Raines – Fri
Monday: A Day: Symphonic Band will rehearse outside during class; Music memorization pass offs parts 3 & 4 this week
Tues: B Day: All classes rehearse outside during class; GAME: MHS vs Deland – HOME FULL BAND; FINAL day to submit cookie dough fundraiser
Wednesday: A Day: Band Tutoring 2:15 – 3:15 for students who have not passed off parts 1 & 2
Thursday: B Day: Instrumental Tech quiz: Rhythm sheet; Music memorization pass offs
Friday: A Day: Pep Band Only Football @ Raines H.S. Call Time 5pm depart 5:30
Saturday: All State Auditions
Students are required to have a current physical as well as the syllabus, and contract of committment signed and returned prior to Tuesday Night’s game vs Deland.
Playing Quiz: Counting Rhythm sheet:
- use microbeats and maintain a steady tempo
- count the entire sheet
Band Classes will be OUTSIDE this week. Please bring water, change of clothes to class
MHS vs Deland Tuesday: FULL BAND
- No rehearsal
- Call Time: 4pm
- Wear Pep Band Uni (don’t forget your cap/visor)
- All water jugs must be RED and marked with your name sticker
- Paperwork must be completed
- Kick off is 6pm
- We will march halftime!
- Please have your rides ready upon dismissal. Ms. Chaffin will tweet game updates from the MHS Band’s Twitter feed
Band Tutoring: Wednesday: 2:15-3:15 for students who have not played off Parts 1 and 2 with correct stepouts or need assistance with parts 3 and 4
All State Auditions: Christ Church Academy on Old St. Augustine Rd. Saturday, Sept 23. Best of Luck to our 3 students who are working hard on their material:
- Julienna Key, clarinet: 3:40
- Liam Painter, trumpet: 3:20
- Gwen Gonzalez-Montero, Flute: 11:40
** arrive early enough to check in and find your room as well as tune and warm up; you may want to bring a bottle of water to help with dry mouth
Additional Rehearsal: Friday: Sept. 29 (bye week) to prepare for Middleburg Competition
- 2:20 – 4:30 Rehearsal
- 4:30 – 5:30 Brass Polishing Party (bring old t-shirts; silver polish (windex for laquer instruments)) Percussion and Guard – Load trailers
Echoes of Excellence: Marching Band competition at Middleburg H.S. Saturday, Sept. 30
- Detailed itinerary in next week’s announcements
- Call Time: 11:00 am
- Prelims performance: 3:15
- Approx return: midnight
Tues. Feb 6: 6pm to 7pm we will host “Band After Dark.” Duval County band directors will observe us as we rehearse our MPA music. This will take place in the band room. Stay tuned for more info!
All District Auditions: Tues. Nov 14 at Atlantic Coast H.S. All Wind Ensemble students audition and all students are encouraged to audition. We set our goal at 18 students earning seats in this group; we shall break our record of 17 set last year. HAIL!
Smartmusic Assignments have gone out. All wind instrument students need to practice the assignments and then submit their demonstration of understanding. There are students who are not enrolled in their corresponding class’s smartmusic. These assignments are very important for the musical development of each student as they provide a guided practice to technique and musical exercises. Smartmusic is available for download for a subscription fee of 40.00 anually – visit http://www.smartmusic.com. A student computer in the bandroom also has the software installed and already has a subscription if a student would like to access that computer. It is available all day every day. The student needs to set up an account – free or he/she can use their smartmusic subscription there as well.
Questions about smartmusic?? Ask your section leader first, the captains next, the drum majors if you still don’t have an answer and finally…. ask Ms. Chaffin if all resources are exhausted.
Memorization play offs for Parts 3 and 4 due by Thursday Sept 7
Students who have not passed Parts 1 and 2 off for their section leaders are required to attend “Band tutoring” on Wednesday, Sept. 6 from 2:15-3:15. Students will meet with section leaders to learn parts and strategies of memorization. Bonus points earned for sectional.
Concert Addition! The Mustang Marching Band will perform 1001 Nights at Mandarin Middle School on Thursday, Oct 26. Time approx 7pm – details to follow. There will be NO marching rehearsal on October 26
Remind App: If you would like to be included on the Remind App, here is the info:
text: Enter this message @27ha9 to this number 81010
Reminder: Students MUST participate in Thursday rehearsals (or the rehearsal prior to performance) in order to perform Friday/Saturday – even if the absence is excused. This is not a punishment but a precaution.
Band Calendar: if you would like to download the band calendar to your iPhone or smartphone here is the link:
or you can click on the link on the facebook page – I pinned it to the top.
This calendar is in real time and updates as I update the calendar.
Full Band AWAY game is October 13 at Sandalwood
From the Band Boosters:
- Natalie Painter – Monday, September 18
- Abey Hernandez – Tuesday, September 19
- Raven Ruiz – Tuesday, September 19
- Sarah Alford – Wednesday, September 20
- Odiley Torres-Molina – Wednesday, September 20
- Matt Olsavsky – Thursday, September 21
- Lindsay Payne – Thursday, September 21
- Only chaperones are permitted to sit along the rope that marks the band section of the stands. All other family, guests, friends, and alumni need to enjoy the game from the opposite side of the stairs. You will still have a great view of your student at the game!
- When the band goes down for their halftime performance, chaperones are needed to help move equipment to the field and put the feathers in hats (does not apply for this game since the band is wearing pep band uniforms)
- THERE IS NO FOOD OR DRINK permitted in the band section of the stands!!!! Parents…PLEASE DO NOT pass anything to your student except water. They are required to have their red water coolers so they really shouldn’t need water any ways.
- Band will get a 3rd Quarter Break. Parents may want to go purchase concessions for their student and have it ready when they go on break. Concession lines tend to be long and they sometimes don’t have enough time to stand in line and enjoy their treats before they have to be back for 4th Quarter.
- Band Syllabus
- Contract of Commitment and Responsibility
- DCPS Media Release
- 2017-18 Permission Forms (to be uploaded soon)