All District Auditions
Tues: A Day- All District Auditions – Atlantic Coast High School
Wednesday: B Day: Early Release; FOW recordings after school (see below)
Thursday: A Day: Tri-M meeting: 2:10 – 2:30
Friday: B Day: Playoff Game AWAY @ Winter Park H.S. – Pep Band only (see below)
Do you know anyone that used to be in band and is interested in returning?? Send them to me and let’s bring them back! We gained an oboe player last week who missed music and will join us at the semester change. If their schedule allows it, students not currently enrolled can get back into band at the semester. Have them see me!
FOW Honor Band Members! – Audition Materials are posted.
Click HERE to access materials. practice these. We will have a recording session for your chair placement audition on Wed. Nov. 14. If you would rather record and submit yourself, they are due by Nov. 16. Anything after that or not at all means you’re sitting at the bottom of the section. I’ll have a sign up for a 20 min slot.
If I am recording your audition after school, BRING A FLASH DRIVE with enough memory to hold your video
You will need to upload to YouTube and submit the link to FOW; the directions are on their website. Do not wait to submit your videos. There is a deadline or they will place you last in the section
Game Day: MHS Play off – Pep Band ONLY
This is Griffin’s birthday, everyone…we must play extra beautifully. 🙂
- Pep Band members MUST be in “good standing” with the band. This means fair share payments must be current. If a student is not in good standing, a substitute will play in place. Check Charms for updated balances/payments. Students who make a 50.00 payment prior to Wednesday will be considered “good standing” for the purpose of this trip.
- Wear: Pep Band Uniform; in the event of cool weather – wear an MHS sweatshirt
- 2:15 – Call time/Load
- 2:30 – Departure time – we will stop for dinner at a mall
- 6:30 -Arrive, unload, warm up
- 7:30- Kick Off – Go Mustangs!! (1/2 time will be off; we play during all quarters)
- Arrival home approx time: 12:30 – 1am (Ms Chaffin will send a text via the remind app to update the parents)
remember to bring $$ for concessions and for dinner
All District Auditions are tomorrow!
To Access the Audition Materials, click HERE
- Arrive 45 min – 1 hour before your scheduled time
- check in; locate your audition room
- Warm Up in the designated warm up area
- begin with whisper tones – do 10 of these – hold them for 12-16 counts and focus on the vibration of the airstream/lips/reed
- play long tones (remingtons – ascend and descend to an octave) 8 counts each pitch w/4 count rest between each set of 3 notes – breathe slowly and deeply utilizing all of your lung capacity
- When you enter the audition, greet your judge and tell him/her your name. After the audition, thank them for their time (they volunteer)
- Sightreading: remember rule number 1: DON’T PANIC – take some deep breaths
- Look at your tempo marking and your key
- Sing the piece aloud to hear how it goes (even if your pitch is off)
- key click along
- scary looking parts are usually a scale pattern
- the important part is rhythm! – the pitches will fall into place
If you need anything, find me
- Nov 13: All District Auditions, Atlantic Coast H.S.
- Nov. 29 – Dec 2: TriState and FOW
- Dec. 11: Dress Rehearsal for Winter Concert
- Dec 13: Concert
Everyone needs to check smartmusic to be sure you are enrolled in the correct class. If you haven’t gotten your account yet, you’ll want to do this asap.
To enroll in a class you’ll need to open the following links on the device your smartmusic is on and follow the directions. Do this for each band class you take.
Instrumental Tech – Juniors and Seniors taking Instrumental Tech do not enroll in the smartmusic for that class 😀
Here is a link to the band calendar
- these dates are constantly updated and will load to your smartphone calendar. This is ical so I’m not sure how it works with android
- The football game dates/competition dates as well as concerts have been uploaded
Remind App: Everyone is encouraged to join for Marching Band 2018. You do not need the app to receive the remind texts. We’ll use the remind app to update information such as arrival times home from trips. This will also serve as a medium to convey updates to rehearsals, games, reminders etc. You will receive the info via text: Here’s how:
- text to this number: 81010
- Text this message for Marching Band: @76aahf
- Wind Ensemble: @bd2c3kd
- Leadership: @389fbf
From the Band Boosters:
- Melanie Rios – Monday, November 12
- Griffin Jones – Friday, November 16
- Symphonic Band Men – Black Long-Sleeve Button Down Dress Shirt, Black Dress Pants, Black Socks, Black Dress Shoes (or Marching Shoes), Black Belt, Black Satin Tie (with no print or design)
- Symphonic Ladies – Black Long-Sleeve Blouse, Black Dress Pants, Black Socks, Black Dress Shoes, Hair Pulled Back with Black Hair Tie OR Black Floor Length Dress with Black Stockings & Black Dress Shoes
- Wind Ensemble Men – Black Tux Pants (purchased through the Boosters), Black Long-Sleeve Button Down Dress Shirt, Black Socks, Black Dress Shoes (or Marching Shoes), Black Satin Tie (with no print or design), Black Tux Jacket (provided by the Boosters)
- Wind Ensemble Ladies – Black Floor-Length Dress (purchased through the Boosters), Black Stockings, Black Dress Shoes, Hair Pulled Back with Black Hair Tie
- Pasta Fundraiser – Even though the brochure sale has ended, the online store is still active through November 30! Share the link on your social media! Tell your family and friends to select your name when they checkout and you’ll get fair share credit for their order! All orders $50+ gets free shipping. Here’s the link: https://www.funpastafundraising.com/shop/mandarin-high-school-band
- Gift Wrap Booth – Mark Your Calendars!! Gift wrap will be open Friday, December 14 through Monday, December 24. As soon as all of the details are finalized with the Avenues Mall, a signup genius will be posted so you can signup for your shift(s). As a reminder, in order to earn the $50 Parent Volunteer Credit, parents must volunteer a total of 20 hours (July-December) PLUS a gift wrap shift. We will need parents that can cover the booth during school hours. This is a General Fund Fundraiser.
- Cash or Check (payable to Mandarin Band Boosters) – put your cash/check in an envelope with student’s first AND last name and what you are paying for. Envelopes go in the safe in Ms Chaffin’s office.
- Debit/Credit Card – You can go to our website (www.mandarinband.com) and click on our PayPal button. Since we are a nonprofit, the button says “donate”. This button will link you directly to our paypal account. Please make sure you put your student’s first AND last name and reason for payment in the memo section.